Monday, June 21, 2010

Father's Day Taste Test.

When I can't mix glazes and work with clay, I bake. Baking and mixing glazes is pretty close to the same thing (in my mind anyway). Both require concentration, love and precise measurements. This Father's day, being my husband's first, gave me the perfect excuse. My husband is a huge chocoholic, and swears by Betty Crocker's Milk Chocolate Cake Mix, and Betty Crocker's Milk Chocolate Frosting. I on the other hand is a "from scratch" kinda gal. So I gave him a blind taste test. The cake on the left (Cake A.) is made completely from scratch using Beatty's Cake Recipe from the Food Network. The cake on the right (Cake B) is made from store bought Betty Crocker Milk chocolate Mix and frosting.

I first fed him a piece of Cake A, followed by Cake B. Upon tasting both, my husband stated that they were both great, but he preferred Cake B. A little disappointed (I preferred cake A of course) I pushed over the plate with Cake B, and said "here's your cake." He tasted it and said "wait a minute, very funny, now give me my cake!" HA! I win! I win!
Don't get me wrong, there is a time and a place for store bought cake mixes, and I have to say, Betty Crocker's cake was not half bad, and took no more than 20 minutes of prep. time. But I loved the richness of Beatty's Chocolate cake. It had a much firmer texture without being dry and the chocolate butter cream frosting was truly amazing. Makes me want to have a slice just thinking about it!

So the test revealed, from scratch is always better! Much like it is with glazes isn't it?

No comments: